Thursday, December 07, 2006

Solitude

Sitting in a small coffee shop central Hong Kong I realized that what I want, what I think I need, is solitude. Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends in Beijing and hanging out with people, but I think that, at some point in the near future, I’ll have to get away. There are two ways in which I mean get away: the first is in terms of reading and studying in a quiet place for long periods of time; the second involves traveling to rural China and exploring it by myself. I don’t know why, exactly, I want to get away from the city, from other people, from the stresses of daily life, but I think that I need it. Call is catharsis, call is running from life as an adult (either is fine), the point is that I want to get away. I want to travel. Relax. Think. Walk.
As of right now, I’m planning on spending April and May traveling alone in China. Thus far, there are three things that I’m contemplating doing: 1) I’m hoping to do some research/spend time with local leaders in small rural areas. Many of these individuals are involved in resistance campaigns against corrupt local cadres. I’ve been in contact with several professors who do this kind of work, so hopefully something will work out. 2) Doing Kung Fu in a monetary in the mountains of Yunan. As I’m going to Yunan tomorrow, I’ll soon have a better idea as to whether or not spending time here is something that I’d be interested in. 3) Buying a one-way ticket to a city in China and just going for it. Taking a guidebook, a few changes of clothes, and figuring it out as I go.
I should also note that I’ll be traveling with a good friend from June 5th – August 5th through many parts of China. By combining these two trips and a visa run to Hong Kong in the middle, I think that I’d really be able to see and experience China. I also think that a few weeks by myself followed by 2 months with a good friend would be a great way to refocus my energies and myself before looking for a “real” job in August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home