Thursday, December 07, 2006

Doing It

As all of you know, I live in Beijing. After spending a few days in Hong Kong, I’ve realized how raw, exciting and different life in Beijing is. From the workers smoking cigarettes, riding bikes and doing construction in sandals to the sweet potatoes sold off of garbage can-like rolling carts on the street, life in Beijing is different. And interesting. But, given the large expat population, it is very easy to eat Western food, only speak in English, and get from place to place in a cab. While this lifestyle has its merits, it makes it hard to see, observe and truly experience life in Beijing. To really live the lifestyle here, I think that one needs to bike, one needs to eat in the small shops on the street, and one needs to observe. After coming back from Hong Kong, I’ve realized that I was in autopilot in Beijing—not taking pictures of my surroundings, not experiencing things as I should.
Linked to these observations was a talk a had with my older sister last week. She pointed out, correctly, that this is my year to experience China and explore. If the jobs I’m interested in regarding law reform and the practice of law here in Beijing don’t pan out in August, I’ll have to go home and start my life in the States. While this wouldn’t be the end of the world, it made me realize that my time here in China is short. And precious. And that I should use it as best I can so I return to the States with no regrets. I’ve tried to do this the last few weeks through checking out cool sites in Beijing, finding a better and more convenient English-teaching job, going to Hong Kong and resolving my visa issues, and deciding to go with a group of volunteers to Yunan to spend a weekend volunteering and teaching English in a remote mountain village.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home